Gambas or “Gambas al Ajillo” is a type of Spanish tapas that is made out of flash fried shrimps with garlic and chillies.
- 1 kg medium shrimps, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper / capsicum, sliced
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to your liking, I like it hot)
- 1 pc shallot, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- crispy fried garlic, to garnish
- In a non-reactive bowl add shrimps and lemon juice, let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- Add oil in a pan then sauté garlic and shallots in high heat.
- Add the capsicum, shrimps and cayenne pepper then stir fry for 2 minutes in high heat.
- Combine white wine and tomato puree then pour into the pan, bring to a boil while continuously mixing for 4-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve garnished with chopped parsley and fried garlic.