Shrimp and Cheese Ramen is a Japanese noodle dish prepared ramen noodles, prawns and cheese served on a slowly simmered chicken and dashi stock.
- 6 servings of fresh or dried ramen noodles
- 6 soft boiled eggs, cut in half
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- 6 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 kg large shrimps, shelled
- kamaboko slices
- 6 cheese slices
- nori sheets
- In a large pot combine water, kombu and bonito flakes. Soak overnight.
- Using a sieve strain the liquid into another pot then discard the bonito flakes and kombu. Set aside.
- In a separate pot add the bones and chicken skin, pour enough water to cover everything, bring it to a boil then simmer for 3 minutes. Drain, discard liquid then rinse off any impurities from the bones and chicken skin.
- Place prepared bonito stock in a pot together with the rinsed chicken bones, chicken skin, shrimp heads and onion. Bring to a boil then simmer in very low heat for 4 hours. Remember the liquid level before it boils, add water as necessary to keep the liquid at the same level as you started.
- Using a sieve strain liquid into another pot discarding the solids. Stir in the tamari, mirin and sake and season to taste with salt. Return to simmer in low heat as you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Place shrimps and kamaboko in a noodle strainer or anything similar, dip it in the hot simmering broth and cook for one minute. Set aside.
- Cook ramen noodles according to packet instructions. Once cooked place immediately on serving bowls.
- Pour the hot broth into the ramen noodles.
- Place cheese on top then garnish with cooked shrimps, kamaboko, egg, nori sheets, toasted sesame seeds and spring onions. Serve.