Braised Pork Ribs and Bitter Gourd in Black Bean Sauce is a dish made with bitter gourd and tender soft bone pork ribs slowly braised in a sauce made with fermented salted black beans and spiced with dried chillies.
- 1 kg pork ribs (soft bones), cut into small sections
- 4 pcs bitter gourd, sliced
- 6 pcs dried red chillies, chopped seeds removed
- 3 tbsp salted black beans
- 2 tbsp fermented bean paste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, minced
- sesame oil
- peanut oil
- In a plate spread bitter gourd and sprinkle it with salt generously. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Place bitter gourd in a colander then rinse off the salt with running cold water, drain well.
- Mix all sauce ingredients, set aside
- Heat up a large wok, add peanut oil let it smoke then brown pork ribs in batches. Set is aside.
- Sauté garlic, ginger and dried red chillies, add the fermented bean paste and salted black beans, slightly mash the black beans as you stir fry.
- Add the pork ribs back together with the sauce, bring to a boil, cover the wok then simmer for 1 1/2 hours in low heat.
- Add the bitter gourd, add water if necessary then continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt if necessary then drizzle some sesame oil on top before serving.