Braised Pork Ribs and Bitter Gourd in Black Bean Sauce is a dish made with bitter gourd and tender soft bone pork ribs slowly braised in a sauce made with fermented salted black beans and spiced with dried chillies.
- 1 kg pork ribs (soft bones), cut into small sections
- 4 pcs bitter gourd, sliced
- 6 pcs dried red chillies, chopped seeds removed
- 3 tbsp salted black beans
- 2 tbsp fermented bean paste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, minced
- sesame oil
- peanut oil
- 3 tbsp black bean sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- In a plate spread bitter gourd and sprinkle it with salt generously. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
- Place bitter gourd in a colander then rinse off the salt with running cold water, drain well.
- Mix all sauce ingredients, set aside
- Heat up a large wok, add peanut oil let it smoke then brown pork ribs in batches. Set is aside.
- Sauté garlic, ginger and dried red chillies, add the fermented bean paste and salted black beans, slightly mash the black beans as you stir fry.
- Add the pork ribs back together with the sauce, bring to a boil, cover the wok then simmer for 1 1/2 hours in low heat.
- Add the bitter gourd, add water if necessary then continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt if necessary then drizzle some sesame oil on top before serving.
Yes, bitter gourd with black bean or fermented bean sauce is one of the ways they cook the vegetable here too.