Lechon con Tokwa is a classic dish from Boy Ching Woo Chinese Restaurant prepared with a mix of lechon kawali and fried tofu served over a sweet and savoury sauce.
- 500 g lechon kawali
- 1 large tofu block, approx. 400 g
- 2 pcs shallots, finely sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 cup pork stock
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- sesame oil
- ground white pepper
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- Cut tofu into 3/4-inch-thick slabs.
- In a wok heat enough oil for deep frying, then deep fry tofu until golden brown in colour. Remove from wok, drain then cut into cubes.
- Remove all apart from 2 tbsp of oil from the wok.
- Sauté garlic, shallots and ginger.
- In a bowl mix and combine fish sauce, oyster sauce, soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, brown sugar, pork stock and cornstarch. Pour mixture in the wok then let it boil and thicken. If it’s too thick to your liking add a bit of water.
- Add the lechon kawali and fried tofu, stir to distribute sauce, cook for 2 minutes in very high heat. Season with ground white pepper.
- Drizzle some sesame oil on top, turn heat of then place on a serving platter.
- Top with chopped spring onions then serve.
Cooking time does not include Lechon Kawali’s cooking time