Boiled Crabs with Fennel
Back in the Philippines crabs are abundant and huge in size, here is the opposite and it’s hard to find large sized crabs and if you do find some they are expensive. We cook them in different ways like with vegetables and coconut cream or like relleno but sometimes we just boil them and eat them bear hands with rice, the fatty ones are even better we mix that orange brightly coloured crab fat with rice. For this post we will be making something similar to the simple boiled crabs but it will be enhanced with Fennel and lemon.
- 6 pcs large Paddle Crabs, 3 pcs Dungeness Crab or 3 pcs Mud Crabs
- 1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- ¼ cup salt
- 4 tbsp minced fennel
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped carrots
- 2 tsp lemon rind, grated
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mix all Fennel-Lemon Tartar Sauce ingredients then place in the refrigerator.
- In a large stock pot add fennel, lemon slices, salt and enough water for boiling crabs. Bring to a boil and once boiling drop the crabs in and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drain then serve with Fennel-Lemon Tartar Sauce.