Adobong Manok sa Gata is the Bicolano version of the most popular Philippine dish where meats are cooked the adobo way but finished with coconut milk and chillies a Bicolano dish staple.
- 1 kg chicken legs and/or thighs
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup coconut vinegar or cane vinegar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce (Philippine Soy Sauce not the Chinese Soy Sauce, they taste differently if you can’t find one you can use Kikkoman)
- 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp whole peppercorns
- birds eye chillies
- In a separate pot sauté garlic in oil using low heat until golden brown. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add chicken and fry until browning occurs.
- Add water, vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorn, bay leaves and sugar then bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Drain and reserve the liquid, in a separate frying pan add oil and fry the drained meat in high heat browning the sides.
- Mix coconut milk and the drained liquid together then pour the mixture in the pan.
- Add chillies (depends on the hotness you want) then simmer for additional 5 minutes. Serve topped with fried garlic you separated on step 1.