Seafood Egg Drop Soup
Egg drop soup is a type of Chinese soup dish made out of beaten eggs and chicken stock, several ingredients can also be added like tofu, spring onions, corn and bean sprouts. In Chinese it is called dàn hua tang which means “egg flower soup”. There are other several variations of egg drop soup around the world like the following:
- In Japan where instead of scrambling the whole eggs the yolk is preserved in its round shape
- In Italy there is the stracciatella where it is made out of eggs and parmesan
- In France there is a Tourin where it is made out of garlic and eggs
- In Austria there is Eierflockensuppe where it is made out of scrambled eggs that are mixed with flour
And in my kitchen it will be seafood and eggs, and here is my recipe.
1 cup shrimps
1 cup white fish meat (like snapper or grouper), chopped into small cubes
1 cup squid balls, quartered
1 cup corn
1 small carrot, chopped into small cubes
4 eggs, beaten
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks spring onions, chopped
3 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
- In a pot add oil then sauté ginger and garlic until light brown.
- Add squid balls and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, carrots and corn, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimps, fish and dissolved cornstarch, bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour beaten eggs while gently stirring the soup. Turn off the heat add sesame oil and spring onions then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve while hot.
Brilliant recipe – a great way to introduce more seafood into my diet.
Have a happy day.
I want to try out this recipe Raymund, the eggs inside are simply gorgeous.
Great “surf and turf” soup:)
I love egg drop soup. I have never even thought to make it myself. Your recipe looks great! Looking forward to trying it!
Your soup looks so much yummier than in the restaurants I go to…
We like egg drop soup, it seems easy enough to make, don’t know why we wait until we go out to have it. Will have to try to make it at home now.
Your kitchen is a good place to be!
Great idea to add seafood to egg drop soup (which is already one of my favorite dishes). I’ll have to add this to my meal plan soon.
I love egg drop soup!
This certainly seems like an adventurous soup for me, but I might try making something similar with maybe only shrimp and tofu in it!
I love soup… and this is one of my favorite soup… i will surely try this recipe!
Your egg is perfect! So beautiful…and this soup looks like it is hard to capture with camera, but you really nailed it!
I am a soup girl and I love thick egg-drop soup. Ang sarap ng egg-drop soup na to..ang daming sahog!
Lovely!!!! This is exactly what I need to calm down my crazy life………
I love egg drop soup and this looks perfect…
I’ve always wanted to try egg-drop soup, but this Seafood Egg Drop Soup looks divine. I think I will try this instead 🙂