Seafood Egg Drop Soup
Egg drop soup is a type of Chinese soup dish made out of beaten eggs and chicken stock, several ingredients can also be added like tofu, spring onions, corn and bean sprouts. In Chinese it is called dàn hua tang which means “egg flower soup”. There are other several variations of egg drop soup around the world like the following:
- In Japan where instead of scrambling the whole eggs the yolk is preserved in its round shape
- In Italy there is the stracciatella where it is made out of eggs and parmesan
- In France there is a Tourin where it is made out of garlic and eggs
- In Austria there is Eierflockensuppe where it is made out of scrambled eggs that are mixed with flour
And in my kitchen it will be seafood and eggs, and here is my recipe.
1 cup shrimps
1 cup white fish meat (like snapper or grouper), chopped into small cubes
1 cup squid balls, quartered
1 cup corn
1 small carrot, chopped into small cubes
4 eggs, beaten
6 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 stalks spring onions, chopped
3 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
- In a pot add oil then sauté ginger and garlic until light brown.
- Add squid balls and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, carrots and corn, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimps, fish and dissolved cornstarch, bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 2 minutes.
- Pour beaten eggs while gently stirring the soup. Turn off the heat add sesame oil and spring onions then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve while hot.