Inihaw na Tuna Belly is a Filipino type of grilled fish dish cooked over hot charcoals then basted at the end with sweet and savoury soy sauce infused with garlic and chillies.
- 1 1/2 kg tuna belly, cut into sections
- 1 cup soy sauce
- juice from 2 lemons
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- juice from half lemon
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp oil
- Combine all marinade ingredients together.
- Place tuna belly in a zip lock bag together with the marinade, let it marinate for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare your basting sauce. Place oil in a sauce pan then sauté garlic on low heat.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl then mix until free of lumps, pour over the sauce pan then bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until it thickens.
- Drain marinade from fish then place them on a charcoal grill, cook for 10 to 15 minutes on each side depending on how thick the tuna belly is. On the last 5 minutes continuously baste the fish on all sides.
- Remove from the grill then serve.