Beef Tendons, Tofu and Mushrooms is a dish of simmered beef tendons and tofu in a sauce prepared with savoury sweet sauce infused with shiitake essence and dried shrimps.
Meat and Vegetables
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 400 g soft tofu, cubed
- 400 g tendons, sliced into sections
- 200 g fresh button mushrooms, cut in half
- 4 pcs shiitake, rehydrated in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp, rehydrated in 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp dried red chillies
- 3 stalks spring onions, chopped, whites and greens separated
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mushroom soy sauce
- 4 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- In a pressure cooker add 2 cup of water and the beef tendons. Pressure cook for 1 1/2 hours or until tendons are soft but not mushy.
- Remove from pressure cooker, drain then set it aside.
- Drain shiitake and dried shrimps, reserve the liquid from the shiitake. Finely chop shiitakes and dried shrimps then set it aside.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for a minute, drain then place in a bowl with cold water to stop it from cooking, drain it again then set it aside.
Place wok over a stove top in high heat. Add oil then stir fry chopped shiitake and dried shrimps for 30 seconds.
- Add the minced ginger, garlic, white parts of spring onions and dried chillies then stir fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the tendons and mushrooms then stir fry for a minute.
- Combine all sauce ingredients, mix it with the water used for rehydrating the shiitake then pour into the wok, bring it to a boil. Bring heat to medium then simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, if the sauce gets to thick dilute it with a bit of water.
- Add the tofu and green sections of the spring onions, gently mix to distribute the sauce, simmer for 2 more minutes. Turn the heat off
- Place broccoli on a serving platter pushing it to the edges. Place cooked tofu and tendons in the middle together with its sauce then serve.