Garlic Braised Short Ribs with Red Wine is a simple beef dish of beef short ribs slowly braised on red wine, celery and carrots inside a Dutch Oven until its fall of the bone.
- 2 kg bone-in short ribs
- 2 whole garlic, sliced in half crosswise
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 500 ml dry red wine (Merlot, Pinot Noir or Shiraz)
- 500 ml beef stock
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- freshly ground black pepper
- Season short ribs with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place a Dutch oven over stove top over high heat, add oil then sear short ribs until golden brown on all side. Remove from Dutch oven then set it aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium, in the same Dutch oven add garlic, cut side down, push to one side.
- Add onions, celery and carrots then sauté until vegetables are soft not browned.
- Add tomato paste, stir to coat vegetables.
- Pour red wine then deglaze the Dutch oven, simmer for 2 minutes then add the beef stock and thyme.
- Place the short ribs then top up with water until meat is submerged in liquid, bring to a boil, cover then transfer to 140C preheated oven and cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours until beef is fork tender.
- Remove from oven, remove the thyme, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper if needed.
- Garnish with lemon zest and parsley, serve.