Spabok or Spaghetti Palabok is a Filipino pasta dish prepared with spaghetti noodles served on a seafood gravy made with crab meat, prawn butter and smoked fish topped with seafood, chicharon, egg and spring onions
- spaghetti noodles
- 150 g crab meat
- 150 g crab fat
- ½ cup Smoked fish, flaked
- 3 tbsp annatto powder
- fish sauce
- 3 tbsp corn-starch
- 3 cups of water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 300 g large shrimps, with skin on
- Pork crackling (chicharon), crushed
- Spring onions, chopped
- Hard boiled eggs, sliced
- Fried garlic
- Lemon, sliced
- On a pot boil water and place spaghetti pasta and cook according to packet instructions.
- Once noodles are cooked, drain and then set aside.
- Boil shrimps in the 3 cups of water for sauce. Once cooked drain keeping the liquid, set the shrimps aside.
- Shell the shrimps and reserve it. Pound the shells with a mortar and pestle to extract the juice, place pounded shells and its liquid in a muslin cloth or fine sieve over a container. Run the water used for boiling on the pounded shells and drain it in a container. Set the liquid aside.
- On a blender mix crab meat, crab fat, water used for boiling, annatto powder and fish sauce, blend in low speed for a minute. Remove from blender then set aside.
- On a pan, add oil and sauté garlic and onion.
- Add the blended crab meat mixture and flaked smoked fish.
- On a separate container mix corn-starch with a small amount of water, dilute it until it’s free of lumps then add it to the pan.
- Bring sauce to a boil and simmer until sauce thickens, add water if sauce becomes too thick. Turn off the heat.
- Place noodles in a big plate then top pour sauce on top then garnish with cooked shrimps, Pork crackling, Spring onions, eggs and fried garlic.
- Squeeze lemon to top.
If you don’t want to make your own sauce there are available ready-mix sauces from Mama Sitas, disregard steps 4 to 5 and dissolve mix on water used for cooking seafood