Braised Tofu is a staple in the Chinese cuisine, basically its deep fried tofu braised with different mushrooms and vegetables in a savoury starchy gravy. You can enjoy it with rice or just on its own, it’s so tasty, delicious and definitely healthy nutritious.
- 3 blocks firm tofu, sliced into bit sized pieces
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 bunches bok choy
- 1 400g can straw mushrooms, sliced in half
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 pcs spring onions, sliced and white part only
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce
- Rehydrate shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup boiling water. Once mushrooms become soft, slice then set it aside. Reserve rehydrating liquid
- Prepare a wok add a good amount of oil then fry tofu until golden brown. Remove oil and leave around 2 tbsp on the wok.
- Slide tofu on the side then sauté garlic, ginger and spring onions.
- Add the shiitake and straw mushrooms then stir fry for a minute.
- Mix together soy sauce, sugar, chicken stock, water from rehydrated mushrooms and cornstarch, mix well until free of lumps then pour into the wok. Season with fish sauce, bring it to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust thickness of sauce to your liking by either adding water or cornstarch slurry to the sauce.
- Add the carrots and bok choy then simmer for one more minute.
- Drizzle sesame oil on top, turn heat off then serve.