Papis is a Filipino recipe made out of tough beef cuts like brisket and tendons stewed with baked beans in tomato sauce. If you love pork and beans then this is definitely better, it has the same sweet and savoury taste with the added interesting texture from the tendons and meaty beef.
- 350 g beef tendons, cubed
- 750 g beef brisket, cubed
- 1 400g can baked beans
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add beef and brown all sides.
- Add the beef stock and tendons then bring it to a boil, simmer for 2 hours checking water levels occasionally making sure it does not dry out.
- After two hours the water should be half the original level, add the baked beans, sugar and salt. Continue to simmer for 20 more minutes in low heat.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt if necessary.