Pork Belly and Sweet Potato Hash is a dish made out of roasted pork belly served with potatoes, onions, red wine vinegar and honey.
- 800 g whole pork belly, skin on
- 800 g sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- chives, to garnish
- Generously season pork belly with salt and pepper. Place it in Dutch oven over a stove top together with garlic, onions and stock. Bring it to a boil then turn heat off.
- Place in a 140C preheated oven then braise for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven then place pork belly on a separate dish, place another flat object on top of it (i.e. chopping board, baking dish), something a bit bigger than the pork and place something heavy on top of it to flatten the pork evenly.
- Secure your weights so it does not topple over then place them in the refrigerator to chill overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator then cube them into half inch pieces.
- In a pan add oil, once hot add pork and brown it on all sides. Remove pork then set aside.
- Using the same pan add oil then add the sweet potatoes, cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the shallots then cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the pork in then drizzle the red wine vinegar and honey on top then toss to coat, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Place in a serving platter then serve garnished with chopped chives.