Pork Belly and Sweet Potato Hash is a dish made out of roasted pork belly served with potatoes, onions, red wine vinegar and honey.
- 800 g whole pork belly, skin on
- 800 g sweet potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- chives, to garnish
- Generously season pork belly with salt and pepper. Place it in Dutch oven over a stove top together with garlic, onions and stock. Bring it to a boil then turn heat off.
- Place in a 140C preheated oven then braise for 3 hours.
- Remove from oven then place pork belly on a separate dish, place another flat object on top of it (i.e. chopping board, baking dish), something a bit bigger than the pork and place something heavy on top of it to flatten the pork evenly.
- Secure your weights so it does not topple over then place them in the refrigerator to chill overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator then cube them into half inch pieces.
- In a pan add oil, once hot add pork and brown it on all sides. Remove pork then set aside.
- Using the same pan add oil then add the sweet potatoes, cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the shallots then cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the pork in then drizzle the red wine vinegar and honey on top then toss to coat, cook for 2 more minutes.
- Place in a serving platter then serve garnished with chopped chives.
Another delicious recipe. Thanks!
This looks like a lot of work, but worth the effort? And what is it about pork and sweet potatoes that just makes them look so delicious together?
Yeah it is all worth effort, the fat, starch and flavours balances really well with each other
In the past, the only pork belly I tried came from Chinese restaurants. Last year, I tried a pork belly dish while traveling through Sonoma County (California Wine Country). What a huge improvement. I couldn’t believe it. If I can find a butcher around here who sells pork belly, I’ll surely give your recipe a try!
This looks delicious! I especially like the vinegar with it. 🙂
Reblogged this on YOLO and commented:
This is like a gourmet sweet potatoes and bacon. Amazing dish!!!
Two of my favorite ingredients. In the world. Together.
This looks so delicious and tasty.
Look at that perfect hash and those golden cubes of pork belly & potato. Looks like my perfect supper indeed 🙂
Love that you add honey and vinegar at the end! I bet it makes the hash really special!