Afripaya it’s a version of afritada but instead of the usual ingredients like potato, carrots and chicken this Cavinti uses carabao meat and papaya.
- 1 kg water buffalo or beef ribs, cut into sections
- 500 g young papaya, cut into cubes
- 1 large carrot, cubed
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), cubed
- 400 g chopped tomato
- 2½ cups beef stock
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 pcs bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried sweet basil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- fish sauce or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot add oil then sauté the garlic and onions.
- Add the beef ribs and brown all sides.
- Add the chopped tomato, beef stock and bay leaves, simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add the carrots then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the young papaya and tomato paste then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the capsicum, season with fish sauce/sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve.