Lanzhou Beef Noodle Soup or Lanzhou Beef Lamian is a type of a very spicy soup of sliced beef, radish, red chili oil and chewy hand-pulled wheat noodles.
- 2 kg beef leg bones
- 1 kg beef shanks
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1/2 small Daikon radish, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 500 g fresh white chewy wheat noodles (Lamian)
- 1/2 head large Chinese cabbage
- Hot and Spicy Chili Oil (recipe below)
- Spice bag (recipe below)
- fish sauce
- spring onions, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 2 tsp white peppercorns
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 10 pcs cloves
- 6 pcs star anise
- 1 pc black cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 pcs bay leaves
- 1 thumb sized ginger
Hot and Spicy Chili Oil
- 3/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 3 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 pcs star anise
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Place all spices on a cheese cloth tightly tied on both ends. Set this aside.
- In a small pot combine oil, star anise, cinnamon and Sichuan peppercorns. Cook in low heat for 15 minutes or until star anise, cinnamon and Sichuan peppercorns are lightly toasted. Remove and discard the spices then set oil aside.
- Turn heat off then add the chilli flakes. Let it cool for 5 minutes then add the salt and sugar.
- Place beef bones in a baking sheet and roast on a 200C pre heated oven for 45 minutes.
- Large pot add enough water to boil the beef shanks, bring it to a rolling boil for 5 minutes then drain. Rinse beef shanks in cold water and remove any scum on stuck on your pot. Add the shanks, roasted leg bones, onion, chicken stock and the spice bag. Top it up with water until meat and bones are submerged, add a tablespoon of salt then bring it to a boil, simmer in low heat for 2 hours.
- Remove the beef shanks then set it aside to let it cool, simmer for hour.
- Add the radish then continue to simmer for one more hour. Season with fish sauce.
- Blanch your Chinese cabbage in boiling water, set it aside.
- Thinly slice beef shanks, slice any meat you can also get from the leg bones, set it aside.
- Cook noodles according to packet instructions, then place them on bowls. Place Chinese cabbage on the side then top it with the thinly sliced beef. Ladle a big serving of the soup with radish, then drizzle it with the chilli oil, top with chopped spring onions and cilantro if using. Serve while hot.