Tofu and Bean Sprout Braise
Honestly I don’t know the real recipe for this as I had a chance of trying this only once when we had a shared lunch at the office. It was brought by one of our Indonesian colleagues and I classified it as Indonesian since we are tasked to bring a local dish from our home country. All I recall was this creamy soupy bean sprouts with tofu with some hints of curry but not overpowering. Now I am trying to recreate this at home after I found some extra bean sprouts on my vegetable bin.
This dish is overly simple and it can be served in a vegan fashion by replacing the fish sauce with sea salt, I chose fish sauce to add more flavour to this dish but you are free to use any umami source of your choice like nutritional yeast to make it a vegan version. You can enjoy it on its own or as a side dish with rice.
- Deep fry tofu in hot oil until golden brown in colour. Remove from oil, let it cool then cut into small cubes.
- In a wok add oil then sauté garlic and shallots.
- Add cumin, turmeric and cayenne then stir for 10 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk and sliced tofu, bring to a boil then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add the bean sprouts and cook for a minute, season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper then serve.