Sinampalukang Manok is a sour soup dish made out of chicken, vegetables, tamarind and tamarind leaves, nearly similar to original sinigang except for the use of chicken and tamarind leaves.
- 1 kg chicken legs and/or thighs
- half head cabbage or a bunch of bok choy
- 1 bunch string green beans, optional
- handful of tamarind leaves
- 2 stalks lemon grass, sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 packet sinigang mix or 400 g tamarind
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- fish sauce
- In a wok add oil then brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove from wok then set it aside.
- In a pot add oil then saute garlic and onions.
- Add the brownen chicken, tomatoes, tamarind leaves and lemon grass. If using tamarind place it on a muslin cloth and tie the ends add it to the pot; pour enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add string beans (if using) and cabbage/bok choy. Add the sinigang mix or if using tamarind extract all the juice by wringing the muslin cloth multiple times into the broth. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn heat off, season with fish sauce if needed then serve.