Chicken Chasseur is a classic French casserole dish where chicken, mushrooms and shallots are cooked in a Chasseur sauce.
- 1 kg free range chicken legs and thighs
- 300 g button mushrooms
- 10 pcs shitake mushrooms
- 2 large red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 tbsp butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy pot add 2 tbsp butter and brown chicken pieces. Remove then set aside.
- Using the same pot do the same thing with mushrooms then set aside.
- Add the remaining butter in the same pot then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add tomatoes and continue to stir for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, white wine, paprika and mustard bring to a boil then add the chicken and mushrooms. Simmer in low heat for 1 hour or more until chicken is tender. Add water if necessary.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
You can use normal chicken but it will be less tasty. Duck can also be a good alternative.