Chicken Halang Halang is a Filipino dish which is basically a mash up between Chicken Tinola (Chicken Ginger Soup) and Ginataang Manok (Chicken Curry)
- 1 kg chicken legs and/or thighs
- 1 small size green papaya, sliced
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 thumb sized ginger, sliced thinly
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 pcs green chillies
- handful chilli leaves
- 2 stalks lemon grass
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt or fish sauce
- In a pot add oil then sauté garlic, onion and ginger.
- Add chicken then lightly brown them on all sides.
- Add chicken stock, lemongrass, green chilli and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and papaya and cook for 10 minutes or until papaya is tender.
- Add the chilli leaves and simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt/fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper