One of the simplest way to prepare squid is with just salt and pepper then deep fried and its called Salt and Pepper Squid, would you have guessed that 🙂
- 5 pcs squid tubes, sliced (you can make a pineapple cut so it absorbs more flavour)
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cornstarch
- red chillies, sliced
- oil for deep frying
- Prepare a large wok, add oil and place in high heat.
- In a large container that you can tightly cover mix together cornstarch, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add sliced squid then cover container, shake it to evenly coat the squid inside.
- When the oil is very hot (not smoking) drop squid pieces small batches at a time, cook for a maximum of 2 minutes. Be careful squid will splatter as it contains a lot of water.
- Remove from wok, then place on a paper towel lined plate to remove excess oil. Toss some chopped chillies on top while hot then transfer into a serving dish.
- Consume while hot, you can add more salt or black pepper to suit your taste.
You need to quickly cook the squid in hot oil so it does not turn rubbery
Buy fresh squid as much as possible
red chillies look lovely here..
One of my all time favourites, never fail to order it on the menu dishes! No doubt you’re channeling delicious summer seafood soon too!
Delicious, poppable bites!
I love, love, LOVE
Oops, I hit the wrong key. Meant to say I absolutely LOVE squid done this way. With lots of black pepper! I could easily get squid on the Gulf Coast, but it’s harder to get in Central Texas. I miss this dish. Yours looks lovely and is making my mouth water! Good job, Raymund!