Jerk Chicken is a heavily spiced grilled chicken that originated in Jamaica, the word came from the cooking style “Jerk” where meat is dry rubbed or wet marinated with a Jerk Spice.
- 1 kg chicken thighs and legs
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 3 pcs birds eye, habanero or Scotch bonnet chillies, add more if you want it hotter
- 4 stalks spring onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tsp allspice
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 thumb sized ginger, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- Place all Jerk Marinade ingredients in a blender and pulse until it forms a smooth paste.
- Place chicken in a container that you can seal tight, pour the Jerk Marinade over the chicken then distribute evenly. Cover the container then refrigerate for at least 12 hrs.
- Remove chicken from the container and place them on a baking rack. Reserve the leftover marinade in the container and pour it on top of chicken. Place chicken in a 170C preheated oven then cook for 50 minutes, change the oven mode to grill and increase the heat to 220C, grill for 10 minutes or until light charring occurs.
- Serve with Mango Salsa and Rice.