Loaded with berries like blueberries, raspberries and strawberries this Mixed Berries Ice Cream is one perfect summer treat and its “berry berry” delicious.
- 2 1/2 cups cream
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cups sugar
- 4 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- juice from 1 1emon
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- In a sauce pan combine cream, milk and sugar. Heat slowly while continuously mixing until it reaches nearly boiling point (do not boil) and sugar is completely dissolved
- Place egg yolks in a mixing bowl then slowly pour around a cup of the heated cream mixture while whisking.
- Pour egg mixture to the sauce pan then continue to heat while continuously mixing. Dip a tablespoon and see if liquid sticks to the back side, if it does then you can now turn the heat off.
- Place in a heat proof container, let it cool down then place in the fridge for at least four hours.
- In a small saucepan combine together blueberries, 2 tbsp brown sugar, juice from 1/2 lemon and 1/2 tsp cornstarch, cook in low heat while crushing berries. Once all berries are mashed and thick remove from heat then set it aside to cool down.
- In another small saucepan combine together raspberries and strawberries, 2 tbsp brown sugar, juice from 1/2 lemon and 1/2 tsp cornstarch, cook in low heat while crushing berries. Once all berries are mashed and thick remove from heat then set it aside to cool down.
- Prepare your ice cream maker and pour the cream mixture, churn according to ice cream manufacturer’s instruction. Mine took 30-35 minutes.
- You can now lightly fold in the two different berry mixture then freeze for at least 6 hours.
Always delicious and always so right for the season. I love utilizing fresh seasonal berries when the shops fade fast and far and recapturing that great flavour later on when it’s all but disappeared from the shelves.
So refreshing and so satisfying! As much as I love rich chocolate ice creams, berry ice cream is always seems lighter and the bright flavors make me long for summer.
I see you are making a great use of your ice cream maker this summer! This is my kind of ice cream – I love berries! I haven’t put back the ice cream bowl in freezer yet…but as soon as it gets warm… I’m going to gain weight from eating ice cream! >_<
Isn’t it great to have good berries in the freezer? I drug out some blackberries for a cobbler last week, which was great for what was still a wintery evening here. That ice cream looks delicious.
I so regret not having an ice cream maker when I see a lovely bowl of ice cream like yours.
Oh, I love any treat made with mixed berries! This ice cream looks delicious and is such a pretty color, or should I say “colors”. What a great use of those frozen berries. I’m working on cleaning out my freezer now as well, getting ready for next season. Hopefully, the fruits will be as plentiful as they were last year. Hope you’re having a great weekend.
Looks delicious! I just purchased an ice cream maker the other day and I can’t wait to try it out! Bookmarked!
it’s nice to know that it’s so easy to make an ice cream at home after all. 🙂 thanks.