I saw this recipe of Baked Aubergine and Chickpeas in a Magazine when we are waiting in a lounge of a clinic here in Auckland. It definitely looks easy, nutritious and definitely good.
- 3 pcs medium sized aubergines, sliced lengthwise
- 1 pomegranate
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp rubbed basil
- juice from 1 lemon juice
- flat leaf parsley, for garnishing
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Lightly grease a grill then cook your eggplants for 3-4 minutes on each side, once done set aside.
- In a pan add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, basil and lemon juice; simmer in medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place half of the aubergines into a casserole then pour half of the sauce over the top, layer the remaining aubergines then pour the remaining sauce on top.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven then garnish with chopped parsley and pomegranate.
Tip: For the pomegranate, to remove the seeds easily cut them in half then tap the outer skin with the back of the spoon until all seeds fall off.
That’s a beautiful dish. Love the pomegranate.
Like the colour of this dish. This seems simple and will definitely cook it soon 🙂 thanks.
Such a different and colorful dish.
What an interesting combination of flavors and such a colorful dish!
Aubergine and chickpeas… It looks so rich!
This dish looks so beautiful! I love your addition of Pomengranate because it looks so beautiful but also I love sweet & spicy flavours. My mum is an eggplant lover and I’m sure she’d love to see a new recipe do I’ll forward to her. 🙂
I cook a lot of eggplant dishes and I have made similar chickpea mixes. Just have never put the two together! What a fun experiment ahead 🙂 !
pretty! look at those bright colors!
I am all over this one Raymund! I never would have thought to put pom seeds with this as well. Can’t wait to try this one. I need a good eggplant fix. It’s been too long.
Wow, absolutely gorgeous. Tons of flavors that I don’t normally cook with! This is creative and inspiring. Eggplant is usually tough for me to master but I am going to give it a try with this one!
Yummy! I like the interesting twist of using pomegranate to garnish, it must have given it another layer of flavor.