I saw this recipe of Baked Aubergine and Chickpeas in a Magazine when we are waiting in a lounge of a clinic here in Auckland. It definitely looks easy, nutritious and definitely good.
- 3 pcs medium sized aubergines, sliced lengthwise
- 1 pomegranate
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp rubbed basil
- juice from 1 lemon juice
- flat leaf parsley, for garnishing
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- Lightly grease a grill then cook your eggplants for 3-4 minutes on each side, once done set aside.
- In a pan add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, basil and lemon juice; simmer in medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place half of the aubergines into a casserole then pour half of the sauce over the top, layer the remaining aubergines then pour the remaining sauce on top.
- Bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven then garnish with chopped parsley and pomegranate.
Tip: For the pomegranate, to remove the seeds easily cut them in half then tap the outer skin with the back of the spoon until all seeds fall off.