Pansit Sotanghon is another variant of the different noodle dishes that the Philippine cuisine can offer, other popular pancit varieties are: Bihon Guisado, Pancit Canton, Pancit Luglug, Pancit Malabon, Pancit Miki-Bihon and Pancit Palabok to list some but there are definitely more varieties specially when your country is separated into 1707 islands. Pancit or Noodles in English as I had mentioned before is one of the wonderful contribution of the Chinese to our cuisine, the word was derived from the Hokkien phrase “pian i sit” which means “something cooked fast” so I guess you already have a hint on that name how these dishes are prepared.
Now for this recipe we will use sotanghon noodles which are also called as cellophane noodles, tanghoon, bean threads, bean thread noodles, crystal noodles, or glass noodles in other parts of Asia. These noodles are characterized by it transparent colour and it is made from the starch of mung beans and sometimes yam or cassava. A very versatile noodle which can be used in stir fries, soups and even stuffing for spring rolls and dumplings.
300g bean thread noodles
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 cup shrimps, shelled and deveined
1 1/2 – 2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cabbage, thinly sliced
1 small carrot, cut into matchstick pieces
1 cup wood ear mushrooms or thinly sliced shiitake, rehydrated
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp annatto powder
2 eggs, beaten
- Soak noodles in water for a maximum of 15 minutes. This makes it soft and easier to handle when cooking.
- Dilute annatto powder in 1/4 cup chicken broth, set aside.
- Cook the beaten scrambled eggs in a pan, cool then slice thinly then set aside.
- Now using a wok, add oil and sauté garlic and onions in medium heat.
- Add mushrooms then continue to stir fry for a minute.
- Add cabbage and carrots then stir fry for one more minute. Remove vegetables from the wok then set it aside.
- Add chicken stock, shrimps and shredded chicken into the wok then bring it to a boil.
- Once boiling add noodles, diluted annatto powder, continue mixing until liquid dries out then stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Season with fish sauce and freshly ground black pepper, remove from wok then place it on a plate then top with stir fried vegetables and eggs. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.