Lumpiang Sariwa is a type of Filipino savoury crepe filled with crunchy cooked vegetables like carrots, bamboo shoots, turnips and cabbage drenched in a sweet savoury peanut sauce.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups water
- peanut oil
- 200 g pork, chopped into small pieces
- 150 g shrimps, shelled and chopped
- 1/4 head of cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 medium carrots, sliced thinly
- 2 cups bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- lettuce leaves (cos or fancy variant)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, 2 minced and the remaining with skin on
- 1 cup peanuts, crushed
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- In a bowl mix together flour and 1 cup water, mix thoroughly. Once fully mixed add salt, beaten eggs and the remaining water. Mix it well; the end result will be a really runny batter.
- Heat up a flat bottomed non-stick pan then brush it with a very little amount of peanut oil. Place heat on low setting.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup of the mixture then pour evenly on the non-stick pan then cook for roughly 90-120 seconds. Once top is firm and a dry, starting with the edges lift the crepes and gently flip it over (this is hard and needs a bit of practice). Once flipped cook for 15 more seconds. Remove crepe from pan by sliding it out. Do it for the remaining batter and stack them by placing a parchment paper in between otherwise it will stick to each other.
- In a pot add water and salt and bring it to a boil, once boiling add bamboo shoots and cook until tender. Remove bamboo shoots from the pot then drain and set aside. If you find it smelly you can boil it multiple times and replcing the water each time.
- In a wok heat oil then lightly brown the pork pieces.
- Add garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add bamboo shoots then stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, cabbage and shrimps and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and simmer in high heat until liquid dries out.
- Remove filling from wok, place in a colander to drain any liquid. Set aside
- Place 6 garlic cloves in a sauce pan with water, bring that to a boil and cook garlic with skin on. You can also cook this together with the bamboo shoots. Once cooked remove from sauce pan then remove the skin and mash.
- In a sauce pan add oil then sauté garlic once brown add soy sauce, water, sugar, half of chopped peanuts and mashed garlic. Bring to a boil then simmer.
- Add cornstarch mixture and cook in low temperature until sauce thickens.
- Lay down crepe in a plate then place 1 lettuce leaf on top.
- Add 3-4 spoonful of the vegetable mixture then wrap the crepe carefully.
- Pour peanut sauce on top, then sprinkle crushed peanuts on top.