The first time I saw this Moroccan Beef Stew recipe was from a product pamphlet in a supermarket community board, I was curious to have it a try because of the unusual combination of ingredients (at least to me), I haven’t tried a Moroccan dish yet when I saw this recipe and it look like it’s easy to cook and prepare just sauté everything and place in the oven.
- 800 g gravy beef or stewing beef, cubed
- 2 big onions, cubed
- 1 garlic, minced
- 2 pcs medium sized carrots, cubed
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 cups pumpkin soup
- 1 cup water
- Moroccan spice blend (see below)
Moroccan spice blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Prepare a heavy pan and add oil, place beef and brown on all sides.
- Remove beef and sauté onion, garlic, carrots and Moroccan spice blend.
- Add water, pumpkin soup and beef, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place everything in an oven proof casserole and place in the oven at 160°C for about 1.5 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Remove from oven. Stir in chickpeas. Season with salt and pepper. Place back in the oven and continue for additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with rice.