Fish and Chips
Fish and chips is a very popular dish that originated in the United Kingdom, now a popular take-away food in countries with English origin such as New Zealand, Australia, US, Canada, Scotland and Ireland. A deep fried fish dish which is typically made out of white fish like cod or haddock; commonly it is accompanied with chips or French fries as well as a variety of dipping sauces like malt vinegar, tomato sauce or tartar sauce.
As history suggests Fish and chips was a staple meal of the working classes in Great Britain during the second half of the 19th century, this is because of the rapid development of trawl fishing in the North Sea and development of railways that connected ports to major cities during those times. From then fish and chips shop started to open in London during the 1860 and it was owned by a Jewish proprietor and Joseph Malin.
A really popular food item here, in fact you can see fish and chips shop everywhere even Chinese takeaways sell them, a really good if not better alternative to the normal fast food meals.
- 6-8 white filleted fleshy fish, (i.e. cod, snapper, tilapia, lemon fish)
- 1 bottle beer
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large potatoes, cut into thick strips
- In a large bowl gently mix together beer, 1½ cups sifted flour into the bowl, salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne. Set it aside.
- Season fish with salt and freshly ground black pepper then dredge in the remaining ½ cup of flour. Set it aside.
- Prepare a deep fryer then fry the potatoes for 8-10 minutes, Once cooked place potatoes in a paper towel-lined baking sheet then let it keep warm in an oven
- Dip fish pieces one by one in the batter then slowly slide fish in batches into the hot deep fryer, cook for 5 minutes. Remove fish from deep fryer then place them in a paper towel-lined baking sheet then let it keep warm in an oven. Do the same thing with the rest of the fish.
- Place fish and chips in a white paper lined newspaper then serve (BTW that’s how it’s served here in Fish and Chips shop).