Chicken Teriyaki on bed of Stir Fried Bean Sprouts
Since we are craving for Japanese food these past weeks here is another Japanese dish prepared on the same day as the sushi post. In this recipe I created my own teriyaki sauce which is explained further below.
Teriyaki as I had explained before is not a type of sauce as most of us know but instead its a method of cooking where a meat such as beef, tuna or chicken is glazed with a sauce, thats why the word “teri” in Japanese means to shine by giving sugar glazing on meats. Now its also incorrect to marinate meat in teriyaki sauce as the traditional method of preparing teriyaki dish is by glazing the meat with the sauce after cooking. For these recipe I used the traditional methods of preparing your teriyaki dish and here is how it goes.
Ingredients (Teriyaki Sauce)
1 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp Mirin
1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1/4 cup water
1 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp brown sugar (adjust sweetness according to your liking)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 thin slices of ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion (don’t chop)
5 pieces large chicken thighs, deboned
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup teriyaki sauce
Method (Teriyaki Sauce)
- In a sauce pan mix all ingredients together except for the cornstarch and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add cornstarch mixture, simmer until the consistency is thick.
- Remove ginger and onion from the sauce, and then set aside.
- On a heavy pan, add a small amout of canola oil.
- Pan grill each chicken pieces, cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- Once cooked, slice into 1/3 inch pieces.
- Place on a bed of stir fried bean sprouts, then pour freshly cooked teriyaki sauce on top.
Note: If you don’t have time to make your own sauce at home you can buy ready-made ones in Amazon, here are some links:
- Soy Vay Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce 63z.
- Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce, 40 Oz (1.25 Qt)
- Soy Vay, Award Winning – Veri Veri Teriyaki Sauce, 21 Ounce Bottle