Arrabiata or Arrabbiata sauce is a type of hot and spicy tomato based sauce used in pasta made with tomatoes, garlic and red chili peppers. The name came from the Italian word “Arrabbiata” which means “angry mood” inspired by the sauce flavour.
- 500 g Penne (or pasta of your choice), cooked according to packet instructions
- 2 400g can Italian style chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried sweet basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- chopped parsley
- olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- In a pan add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions, once onions are soft add the red pepper flakes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, red wine vinegar, sugar, cayenne pepper, dried sweet basil and dried oregano then bring to a boil then simmer in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley then season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.
- Pour on top of your pasta of choice and drizzle some parmesan cheese on top.