Budae-jjigae is a type of Korean stew (jjigae) created after the Korean War which used smuggled surplus foods from U.S. military bases combined with Korean pantry staples.
- 340 g SPAM, thinly sliced
- 3 pcs Frankfurters, thinly sliced
- 150 g champagne ham
- 250 g tofu, sliced
- 200 g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- 120 g instant ramen noodles
- 50 g Korean rice cakes
- 2 slices processed cheese slices
- 3 stalks spring onion, thinly sliced
- Combine all stock ingredients and mix well to combine. Set is aside.
- Place all the main ingredients apart from the instant ramen, rice cakes, spring onions and cheese in a shallow pot over a table top stove in the middle of the dining table.
- Pour the stock into the shallow pot then close the lid, put heat to medium high heat then let it boil
- Add the instant ramen, rice cakes, spring onions and cheese on top then continue to boil uncovered, cook for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to very low then share the meal with your family and friends, dishing out the ingredients from the pot to individual soup bowl. Serve with rice.