- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 shallot bulb, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups hot milk
- Cayenne pepper
- Splash of sherry
- 2 egg yolks, whisked with a fork
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 c. whipped cream
Sandwich (For Each)
- 2 pieces of white bread with crusts removed, toasted
- Slices of cooked chicken or turkey
- Mornay sauce
- 1 slice cooked bacon
- 1 or 2 sautéed mushroom caps
- Parsley sprig
- Melt butter in a saucepan. Add shallot and cook slowly until lightly browned. Add flour and blend to make a roux. Cook until raw flour taste is gone. Add hot milk, stirring the sauce constantly until it is thick and smooth. (Use a whisk if necessary to remove any lumps.) Season to taste with salt, cayenne pepper, nutmeg and sherry.
- Temper the egg yolks by stirring some of the hot sauce into them, a little at a time. Then add the tempered egg mixture to the sauce in the pan. Stir constantly until the tempered yolks are incorporated. Do not let the sauce boil or it will curdle.
- Remove sauce from heat. Stir in cheese, then whipped cream.
- Put 1 piece of toast in an ovenproof shallow dish. Lay slices of chicken or turkey over the toast. Cover with sauce. (Be generous. Otherwise, the sandwich will be dry.) Broil in oven until top of sauce is lightly browned.
- Cut the remaining piece of toast diagonally and place the halves on the sides of the dish. Top with the bacon, mushrooms and parsley.