Manongs Beef Mami is a Filipino street food prepared with beef bone broth served over wheat noodles and cuts of tender beef meat and beef offal pieces accompanied by spring onions, soy sauce and hot sauce.
- 2 pcs whole beef leg bones, cut into 3–4 pcs each
- 1 1/2 kg beef brisket, cubed
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 3 large onions, quartered
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- sea salt and/or fish sauce
- 8 serves fresh noodles
- 4 stalks spring onions, chopped
- In a pot add the beef bones and beef brisket, fill it with water until meat is fully submerged. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove pot from stove then drain the liquid, clean bones, and meat with running water to remove any scum.
- In a clean pot add oil, place over stove top in medium heat. Add the garlic then sauté until fragrant.
- Add the onions then let it sweat for a couple of minutes.
- Separate beef bones and brisket, place beef bones in the pot together with black peppercorns, set aside the beef brisket. Add water until bones are entirely covered.
- Bring to a boil and simmer in low heat for 2 1/2 hours.
- Once done, set it aside and keep it cool. Once cooled down remove the bones and set it aside.
- Using a sieve strain the broth and pour it in a large bowl, keep it on the fridge until the oil rises to the top and hardens, now you can easily separate it out then throw it away, you will not be using this unhealthy fat.
- Place beef brisket and cooked bones on a deep pot then the clear broth, bring this to a boil then simmer for an hour.
- Season with salt or fish sauce and freshly ground pepper.
- Prepare your noodles, cook it according to packet instructions. Place noodles on individual serving bowls. Ladle some hot soup into the bowl then add some beef brisket. Garnish with chopped spring onions then serve with soy sauce and sriracha on the side.