Caldo Verde is a popular soup in Portuguese and Macanese cuisine made with potatoes, collard greens/kale, olive oil and salt.
- In a stock pot add butter then sauté garlic and onion in low heat until onions are soft.
- Add some olive oil then gently brown then bacon hock on all sides.
- Pour the chicken stock then bring it to a boil. Cover the stock put and bring to simmering heat, cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Add the kale and potato, then continue to simmer in low heat for 30 to 45 minutes or until the potatoes become very soft and easy to mash.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then serve.