Flaky Roti is generally an Indian bread but it is consumed widely in Malaysia and Indonesia. Like naan it is popular in countries with large Indian population.
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour + some for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- lukewarm water
- Place flour in a large bowl then gently add water while mixing it by hand until it forms a ball. Knead it for 3 minutes or until it is elastic in a dusted board.
- Form into a smooth ball, place it back into the bowl then cover bowl with cling wrap then set it aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Go back to your board and dust it again, divide the ball into 4 equal parts then form each one into a smaller bowl.
- Place the ball in the middle then flatten it with a rolling pin to form a circle, brush top with ghee.
- Fold circle in half then brush it again with ghee.
- Fold it again in half so now it resembles a quarter circle then flatten it and try to make a big circle again. Brush top again with ghee then repeat the process again from #4 for one more time. Once finished flatten into one big circle then set them aside.
- Repeat this with the remaining balls.
- Prepare a non-stick frying pan then place the circle dough and cook in medium heat. Once edges turn light brown flip it over then brush top with ghee.
- Flip it again once the edges turn light brown then brush top with ghee again.
- Flip over and over again until golden brown on both sides.