Garbanzos con Patas de Cerdo is a type of Puerto RIcan stew made out of pork leg, butternut, potatoes and chickpeas cooked in tomato and pork stock.
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper), seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 stalks cilantro leaves
- 2 stalks parsley leaves
Pork Leg Stew
- 1 1/2 kg pork hock, cut into 1 inch thick pieces
- 2–3 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 butternut, sliced into cubes
- 1 red capsicums (bell pepper), sliced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups pork stock
- olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- In a pot add oil then brown pork hock on all sides, add water and pork stock bring to a boil. Remove any scum that rises to the top then simmer for 45 minutes.
- In a food processor process sofrito ingredients together until it becomes a smooth paste, add a bit of olive oil if necessary.
- In a sauce pan add oil then sauté sofrito in medium heat for 3-5 minutes or until fragrant. Pour into the pot with pork hock together with the tomato paste, bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes, add water if necessary.
- Add butternut then continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chick peas and capsicum then continue to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, garnish with chopped parsley then serve.