Sup Buntut is a traditional Indonesian oxtail soup dish that is rich and flavourful. Savour the tender meat and warm spices in every comforting spoonful!
- 1 1/2 kg oxtails
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 litres water
- 2 stalks lemongrass, bruised
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pcs cinnamon sticks
- 1 pc star anise
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 pcs small red chillies, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- chopped coriander, to garnish
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil. Add the oxtail pieces and boil for 5-10 minutes to remove any impurities. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, sauté the garlic and onion until fragrant. Add the lemongrass, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, nutmeg, and chillies then stir for a few minutes.
- Add the oxtail back into the pot and pour in enough water to cover the oxtail. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours until the oxtail is tender.
- Add the diced potatoes and carrots, then continue to simmer until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with spring onion and coriander.