Bacalao is a popular Filipino dish made with salted cod that has been dried and rehydrated. It is known for its unique and rich flavour, and is often cooked with garlic, onions, potatoes, and olive oil.
- Soak salted dried bacalao in cold water overnight then place it on the refrigerator.
- Remove fish from the refrigerator then flake the fish, also remove bones then set them aside.
- In a pan add oil then place it on medium heat, add potatoes and fry until golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from pan then set it aside.
- Dilute annatto powder in hot water until totally dissolved.
- Using the same pan under medium heat add oil then sauté garlic and onions until fragrant.
- Add the shredded fish, chickpeas, tomatoes, capsicum, freshly ground black pepper and diluted annatto. Cook in medium heat until liquid dries out, around 10 minutes.
- Add the fried potatoes then continue to cook in low heat for 5 more minutes, adding a bit of water as it dries out, just need a bit of moisture to have better texture.
- Remove from pan then serve.