Get ready to indulge in a rich and creamy pasta dish with 4 Cheese Baked Macaroni. Made with a blend of four different cheeses, this baked macaroni is sure to satisfy any cheese lover’s cravings.
- 400 g macaroni
- 300 g minced beef
- 300 g minced pork
- 2 pcs 400 g can chopped tomatoes Italian Blend
- 1/2 cup good beef stock
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- handful basil, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
- mozzarella cheese, adjust amount to your liking
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, parmesan, etc.)
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour to the melted butter and stir constantly for about 2 minutes until the mixture turns into a roux (light brown colour)
- Gradually add the milk to the roux, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth and free of lumps.
- Continue to cook and stir the mixture until it thickens, which usually takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg to the sauce and stir to combine.
- Add the grated cheese to the sauce and stir until the cheese is fully melted and the sauce is smooth. Set it aside.
- Cook macaroni according to packet instructions, once cooked drain then set aside.
- In a pan add olive oil then sauté garlic and onions.
- Add beef and pork mince and cook until light brown in colour.
- Add chopped tomatoes, beef stock, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, sugar, basil, oregano and chilli flakes. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine together macaroni and meat sauce, mix it evenly then layer it with cheese sauce on a baking dish. Make 3 layers of pasta and 3 layers of cheese sauce, making the last layer as the cheese sauce.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and bake in a 180C preheated oven for 20 minutes, increase the temperature to 220C then continue to bake for 7-10 more minutes or until top is bubbly and partly turning golden brown.
- Remove from oven then let it cool before serving.