Masuki Mami is a Filipino-Chinese noodle soup dish typically made with thin and slightly chewy egg noodles that are cooked in a rich and flavourful chicken broth topped with chicken meat and pork.
- 2 kg chicken frames
- 500 g boneless chicken thighs
- 12 cups cold water
- 1 large bunch spring onions
- 6 thick slices of ginger
- 1/4 cup Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp white peppercorns
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt, to taste
- 500 g fresh yaka mien noodles (fat Chinese white egg noodles)
- 500 g cooked roast pork
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- hoisin sauce, as condiment
- Blanch the chicken frames and boneless chicken thighs in boiling salted water for about 5 minutes until chicken is white in colour.
- Drain the chicken and carefully wash each piece under cold running water to remove any scum.
- Place the clean chicken frames and boneless chicken thighs in a large pot with all of the chicken broth ingredients.
- Turn the heat to a low medium and let it gently simmer making sure it does not boil, maintain the same gentle simmer throughout the cooking process. Cook for 1 hour then remove the boneless chicken thighs and set it aside.
- Continue to cook for 3 more hours, make sure chicken is covered with liquid all the time adding water if necessary.
- Once broth is ready, strain chicken using a cheesecloth on to another pot to have a nice clear stock.
- Season with salt.
- Continue simmering the chicken stock in very low heat as you prepare the next steps.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the noodles and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Drain the noodles and set aside.
- While noodles are cooking, chop the chicken into small pieces then set it aside.
- To serve, divide the cooked noodles among bowls. Ladle the broth over the noodles. Add your sliced chicken, roast pork and chopped spring onions, serve with Hoisin sauce on the side.