Crispy Orange Beef is a Chinese inspired dish prepared with cripsy deep fried lightly battered beef in a tangy sweet and savoury orange sauce.
- 500 g rump steak, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- freshly ground black pepper
- 150 ml orange juice
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 pc red chilli, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 pcs shallots, finely chopped
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- Season rump steak with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place cornstarch on a plate then add the beef then roll and toss to lightly coat meat. Set aside.
- In a wok add enough oil for frying, place in very high heat and once wok starts to smoke add the beef in batches and fry without moving it around for 2 minutes or until beef is crispy on the outside, turn it the other side then continue to cook in very high heat for two more minutes.
- Remove beef from wok, drain excess oil and set it aside.
- Using the same wok for frying, remove but 2 tbsp of oil then sauté aromatics in medium heat apart from the spring onions.
- In a bowl combine all sauce ingredients together, bring back heat to high then pour sauce into the wok and let it boil, once sauce starts to thicken add the beef back in then give it a good mix and turn the heat off.
- Remove from wok, place in serving platter then serve topped with chopped spring onions.
Not my favourite way to enjoy rump steak, but it does look very tender and tempting!
I haven’t made orange beef in years and yours looks terrific.
This looks good. We have some round steak looking for a home…
This looks amazing, Raymund! I just finished a batch of homemade hoisin sauce, so I am ready to give this a go.
Home made hoisin, Wow! I want to make one too
Looks good! Orange isn’t a common ingredient here – lemon chicken is the popular dish. We did use orange once when we roasted one whole chicken. It was very nice!