Need an easy tofu recipe? Here’s one for you, a simple smothered tofu recipe that you can easily cook up on a weekday to enjoy with a bowl of freshly cooked steamed rice.
- 2 block soft tofu, approx. 500 grams, each block cut into 16 triangle sections
- oil, for deep frying
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in 3/4 cup boiling water then diced
- 1/2 carrot, diced
- 2 pc string beans, sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup vegetable stock (for vegetarian option)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 stalks spring onions (white and greens separated)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- white pepper
- Heat up a wok filled with enough oil for deep frying to 180C.
- In a flat surface place sliced tofu then lightly drizzle 1/2 cup all-purpose flour to coat each tofu piece.
- In a bowl mix eggs and 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour, dip each tofu piece into the bowl then immediately deep fry it in the wok with hot oil. Do it with the remaining tofu, do it in small batches so temperature will not drop. Deep fry until tofu turns golden brown and crispy. Place tofu on serving platter then set it aside.
- Remove all but 2 tbsp oil from the wok. Add the garlic and white parts of spring onions then sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the shiitake, carrot, and string beans, stir fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the Shaoxing wine let it steam then pour the stock together with the liquid used for rehydrating the mushroom bring to a boil then add the dissolved cornstarch.
- Add sesame oil, season with salt and white pepper then turn heat off.
- Pour sauce over deep fried tofu, drizzle green parts of spring onions on top then serve.