Dumaguete Express is a Filipino dish prepared with fish, prawns, and squid in savoury coconut milk sauce served with strips of fresh coconut and malunggay and topped with crispy pork.
- 350 g small squid, cleaned and sliced
- 350 g white flesh fish (snapper, grouper, hapuka, monkfish), cubed
- 350 g prawns, shelled
- 1 cup young coconut meat, cut into strips
- 1/2 packed cup malunggay / moringa leaves
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut water
- 3 pcs green chillies, chopped
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 thumb-sized ginger, sliced
- fish sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- lechon kawali, to top
- In a wok add oil heat to medium-high then quickly pan fry prawns and squid in batches, each batch would take around a minute. Remove the prawns and squid then set it aside.
- Using the same wok add more oil if needed then sauté garlic, shallots, and ginger.
- Pour coconut milk and coconut water then bring to a boil. Simmer in low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish, malunggay leaves, coconut meat and tomatoes, continue to cook for 5 minutes in medium high heat.
- Add the precooked squid and prawns, also add the coconut meat, green chillies then season with fish sauce. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper then serve topped with chopped lechon kawali.