Pepitoria is a Filipino dish inspired by the Spanish made with chicken cooked in a creamy sauce made chicken liver, cooked egg yolks and pine nuts.
- 1 kg chicken thighs, bone in and skin on
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 pcs hard boiled eggs whites, chopped
- 2 pcs bay leaf
- 1 tsp safflower (kasubha)
- freshly ground black pepper
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 chicken liver
- 2 pcs hard boiled eggs yolks
- 1 slice of white bread or equivalent in breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, slightly roasted
- Season chicken thighs and chicken liver with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set it aside.
- In a large pan heat oil over high heat then brown chicken pieces on all sides. Remove chicken from the pan then set it aside.
- Using the same pan, add the chicken liver, brown it in all sides. Remove chicken liver from the pan then set it aside.
- Add oil if needed, then sauté garlic and onions in low heat, once onions are caramelised and soft add the chicken back. Pour the chicken stock, add the bay leaf, cover the pan then gently simmer for 25 minutes.
- While chicken is simmering, in a blender combine all sauce ingredients together with the browned chicken liver, pulse to make gravy.
- Pour gravy onto the pan, add the safflower then continue to simmer for 10 more minutes or until sauce is thick.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, mix in the lemon juice, place in serving platters then garnish with chopped egg whites.