Prawn Katsu Burger is a Japanese style burger prepared with chopped prawns with light breading pan fried and cabbage slaw then sandwiched over burger buns served with chili mayonnaise.
- 4 burger buns
- oil, for frying
- 500 g raw peeled prawns, pat dry
- 200 g panko breadcrumbs
- 2 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ground white pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced cabbage
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Sriracha
- In a food processor place half of the prawns, spring onion, salt and ground white pepper, pulse to a rough paste.
- Add egg white and cornstarch then continue to pulse until well combined.
- Add the rest of the prawns then gently pulse it to roughly chop the prawns into the mixture. Remove from the food processor then set it aside.
- In a plate add the breadcrumbs.
- Scoop out a quarter of the prawn mixture then shape it into burger patties, press the patties into the crumbs to coat both sides, set it aside and repeat it with the remaining mixture. Place it in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the coleslaw by combining and mixing all the coleslaw ingredients in a bowl, set it aside.
- Prepare the Chilli Mayo by combining and mixing all the Chilli Mayo in a small bowl.
- Prepare a non-stick pan, place a good amount of oil for shallow frying, heat to medium high. Remove the patties from the refrigerator then carefully place them on the pan, cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden.
- Remove patties from the pan, place in a paper towel lined plate.
- Prepare the burgers, lightly toast the burger buns. Put a spoonful of the chilli mayo on top, then top it with a patty and add a quarter of the prepared coleslaw on top of the patty, for an extra kick drizzle more sriracha on top. Do it with the rest of the buns then serve while hot.