Spicy Braised Fish, Tofu and Shiitake is a dish of lightly battered deep fried white fish fillets braised with tofu and shiitake in a spicy sauce.
Fish and Tofu
- 250 g block of firm tofu, cut into cubes or triangles
- 400 g white flesh fish fillet (snapper, grouper, or cod)
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated and sliced, reserve liquid
- 2 tbsp chili bean sauce
- thumb sized ginger, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup water, from the rehydrated mushrooms
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 stalks spring onions, chopped
- Place cornstarch in a shallow bowl.
- Lightly season fish with salt, roll the fish pieces into the cornstarch to coat the fish, coat it lightly. Set it aside.
- Prepare a deep fryer or wok filled with oil for deep frying. Heat oil to 180C then deep fry fish until golden brown and crispy, around 6-8 minutes. Remove fish from wok then set it aside.
- In the same fryer, add tofu then deep fry until golden brown and crispy, around 8-10 minutes.
- Remove tofu from wok then set it aside.
- Combine all sauce ingredients together, mix well then set it aside.
- Heat oil in a clean wok then sauté ginger, garlic, and shallots until fragrant.
- Add chili bean sauce into the pan then stir fry for a minute.
- Add shiitake into the wok, pour prepared sauce and bring to a slow boil. One boiling reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the precooked tofu and fish, gently mix to distribute sauce, simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Turn off heat, then serve and garnish with chopped spring onions.