Gotong Batangas Bulalo is a dish prepared with beef leg bones cooked like a Batangas Goto, a soup dish cooked with lots of annatto seeds, garlic and ginger.
- 2 1/2 kg meaty beef leg bones or shanks, ask your butcher to cut it into sections
- 300 g beef tendon, sliced into small cubes
- 1 cup cane vinegar
- 1 1/2 litre rice wash
- 4 pieces birds eye chillies, cut in half
- 1 tbsp annatto powder
- 2 pcs red onions, chopped
- 1 whole garlic bulb, minced
- 1 thumb sized ginger, sliced into thin matchsticks
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped spring onions, to garnish
- fried garlic, to garnish
- Marinate leg bones / shanks in vinegar for 1 hour.
- Drain marinade then generously season beef leg bones or shank meat with salt and freshly ground black pepper. In a large pot add oil then brown the seasoned meats in batches, removing everything in pot after every batch. Set meat aside.
- Using the same pot add oil, if necessary, then sauté garlic, ginger and onions.
- Add the annatto powder, gently fry until powder dissolves into oil.
- Add beef tendons and beef bones/shank then pour rice wash, bring it to a boil then slowly simmer in low heat for three hours
- Add the chillies, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then continue to simmer for 15 more minutes
- Serve in bowls garnished with chopped spring onions and fried garlic.