Ginataang Okra is a simple Filipino dish prepared with pork pieces and okra sauteed in garlic and onions then cooked in coconut milk until pork is tender.
- 400 g pork jowl, sliced
- 400 g fresh okra
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp bagoong (shrimp paste)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 pcs finger chillies, chopped
- 4 pcs red chillies, to garnish
- Generously season pork jowl with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a wok heat oil then then brown pork jowls on all sides.
- Push pork to the side of the wok then add the garlic and onions, sauté until fragrant.
- Pour 1 cup of water bring to a boil, cover wok then simmer in medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, bagoong, finger chillies and okra, bring to a boil, toss to evenly distribute the ingredients, then lower the heat, cover wok then cook for 8 minutes.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and salt (if needed), garnish with red chillies then serve.