Hakata Ramen is a noodle soup dish from Fukuoka Japan prepared with thin, straight and firm wheat noodles on a creamy tonkostu broth topped with slices chashu, negi, beni shōga , soft boiled egg, wood ear mushrooms, kombu, nori and sesame seeds.
- 6 servings good quality ramen noodles
- 12 slices Chashu pork (recipe here)
- 6 pcs ramen eggs
- Negi (spring onions), chopped
- woodear mushrooms, thinly sliced and boiled
- Roasted Nori squares
- toasted sesame seeds
- beni shōga
- 1 1/2 kg pork trotter
- 1 kg pork marrow bones
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 whole garlic, minced
- thumb sized ginger, sliced thinly
- 2 pcs leeks, roughly chopped
- 6 pcs dried shiitake mushrooms
- In a large stock pot add pork trotters and pork marrow bones then fill it with water enough to cover everything. Bring it to a boil and continue to boil until the scum appears on top. Turn the heat off then drain.
- Clean the pork marrow bones and trotters in running water removing any scum that is stuck on it.
- In clean stock pot add oil then sauté onion, garlic and ginger.
- Add the pork trotters, bones, leeks, dried shiitake mushrooms and salt. Fill it again with water enough to cover everything (roughly 4 to 5 litres), cover with heavy a lid then bring it to a boil. Once boiling reduce to simmering heat and simmer for 4 hours, check water levels making sure it does not dry out, adding water if necessary.
- After 4 hours, turn the heat off then strain the liquid using a fine sieve into a separate pot, reserve the bones. At this point you need to have at least 3 litres of stock if not add water. Place pot on stove top then bring it to a boil, once boiling lower to simmering heat.
- Scrape off the very tender fat and skin from the trotter bones until you have around 1 1/2 cups of tender pork skin. Place them in a bowl then using a hand blender puree them until smooth in consistency, pour this into the simmering soup.
- Continue to simmer the broth for 2 more hours, season with salt then turn heat off.
- Cook ramen noodles according to packet instructions.
- Place ramen noodles in a bowl then pour the pork broth, top with thinly sliced Chashu pork, Boiled eggs, chopped spring onions, nori, woodear mushrooms, beni shōga and sesame seeds.