Ilocano Igado is Filipino pork recipe prepared with pork liver, pork meat and other offal cooked with green peas, red capsicum, ginger, onion and garlic in vinegar.
- 500g pork belly, diced (small)
- 300g pork liver, diced (small)
- 1 pc pork heart, diced (small)
- 1 large red capsicum, diced
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 1/2 cup cane vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp cracked peppercorns
- fish sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 thumb sized ginger, finely chopped
- Marinate pork liver in 1/2 cup cane vinegar for an hour, mixing every 15 minutes.
- In a pot heat oil and sauté garlic, ginger and onions. Cook until onions are soft.
- Add and brown the pork belly and heart in high heat.
- Pour vinegar and soy sauce, add the peppercorns and bay leaves bring to a boil and simmer for 25 minutes in medium heat uncovered, let the liquid reduce and thicken.
- Drain the liquid from the liver. Set aside.
- Add red capsicum, green peas and liver, simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Adjust flavour with water, if necessary, flavour with fish sauce. Serve with freshly cracked peppercorns.